A plugin for speaking events outloud
Miranda IM offered a few plugins for speech synthesizers to speak most of the events happening in Miranda such as Status changes or incoming messages.
In Miranda NG we had an attempt of somebody adopting the old Winterspeak plugin, but it didn't work all that well and the developer seems to have abandoned his work.
My suggestion would be to go for adopting and further tweaking Pescuma's Mespeak plugin as under Miranda IM this was the most reliable solution.
Apart from being stable and working all the time, the plugin offered Espeak, an opensource speech synthesizer as one of the options for generating speech which made it possible to portabilise the configuration.
If you decide to adopt this or any other TTS plugin in Miranda NG here are my suggestions for further development:
- converting the plugin into a fake popup service: all plugins that generate popups would pass their info to the plugin which then would read the received info - this would make the plugin super-extensible, unlike previously where either special service plugins were created or the plugin was fixed upon receiving certain kinds of events only.
- adding support for SAPI 4 synths: yeah, I know it is old technology, but there are some good and popular SAPI 4 synths that are still in wide use.
- minor: support for cloud-based synthsis E.G. Google TTS
- Trivial: a little fantasy of mine is a hidden interface that would allow for controlling a hidden instance of Miranda NG using a set of global keystrokes and messages received via TTS like it is possible in an opensource Twitter client TW Blue
TW Blue's source code is here:
Since I know the feature would be of use mostly to blind people I consider it trivial and won't be surprised if it won't be taken up until a blind coder arrives on board.
- support for generating speech directly via screen reading technology: for users of screen reading technology this is a major improvement as then the messages are generated used the same voice configuration as the one we use for all tasks on the computer and can be paused at any time. This is another option for portabilising as well.
The library allowing for passing information from a C++ program to all the major screenreaders is here:
Paweł Masarczyk commented
MeSpeak is what I was suggesting too. If, however, the new plugin was turned into a Popup service, there would be no need for the other service plugins anymore.Each plugin using popups would be suitable and could be audified.
I am for reviving Pescuma's mespeak which by the way also handles Sapi5 voices. Then of course we also need his history keeper and history events to be completelly happy.